It's time once again for OpenNMS On the Horizon.
Since last time, we worked on documentation (Minion, plugin API, events), Horizon Stream (monitoring, time-series storage, Kubernetes operator, notifications, PagerDuty, Skaffold/Tilt config, device/appliance UI and maps), Enlinkd scheduling, datachoices telemetry, CI dynamic config, build assembly, ALEC (situations backend and UI), JMX collection, time-series off-heap storage, and password complexity checks.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Antonio did more work on Enlinkd collection scheduling
- Thomas and Alex added polls, metrics, events, flows, and time-series config info to the datachoices telemetry.
- Morteza continued his work on dynamic CircleCI configuration.
- Chandra worked on basic monitoring scheduling and time-series storage in Horizon Stream.
- Jeffrey did more work on the Horizon Stream operator config.
- I worked on creating a tarball assembly from the Horizon build that is suitable for creating our Docker images.
- Benjamin Janssens refactored the backend engine in ALEC a bit, as well as creating a protobuf model for situations.
- James worked on PagerDuty support in Stream's notification service.
- Yang Li worked on retrieving data from Prometheus in Stream.
- Patrick did more work on time-series off-heap storage in OIA.
- Gerald worked on updating the Stream Skaffold setup to deploy with Helm Charts, as well as experimenting with using Tilt instead of Skaffold.
- Thomas worked on a Stream notification engine Kafka consumer for events and alarms.
- Dino made some fixes to G1 mbean names in JMX collection configs.
- Mark Frazier and Łukasz worked on Minion integration in Stream.
- Emily worked on documentation for Minion priviledged port binding, as well as changing references to OIA to call it the "OpenNMS Plugin API."
- Mark Mahacek worked on event documentation cleanups.
Web, REST, UI, and Helm
- Chinh Le worked on adding device coordinates and maps to the Stream UI.
- Benjamin Janssens did some work on the ALEC REST API.
- Mike Rose did some work on the Stream device/appliance UI.
- Anya did more work on the ALEC situation detail UI.
- Lars refactored the password complexity checking code a bit.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Chandra Gorantla
- Antonio Russo
- Łukasz Dywicki
- Mark Mahacek
- Mark Frazier
- Emily Marsh
- Morteza Ershad-Manesh
- Anya Rybalova
- Jeffrey-David Kapp
- Dino Yancey
- Benjamin Reed
- James Hutchinson
- Chinh Le
- Alex May
- Thomas Bigger
- Yang Li
- Patrick Schweizer
- Mike Rose
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Freddy Chu
- DJ Gregor
- Gerald Humphries
- Benjamin Janssens
- Dustin Frisch
- Lars Schreiber
Coming Soon: JIRA Migration
We will be migrating our JIRA issue-tracker from a self-hosted version to Atlassian's cloud version.
I don't have a timeline for this yet, but expect it in the coming months.
If you currently have an account at the OpenNMS issue tracker your account should already be migrated to JIRA Cloud, but you will need to perform a password reset with the "Can't log in?" link before you can log in.
Releases and Roadmap
Upcoming August Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is August 10th, 2022.
We currently expect updates to Horizon 30 and all supported Meridians.
Next Horizon: 31 (Q4 2022)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 31.
Since Horizon 30 was only recently released, there is nothing concrete on the roadmap for Horizon 31 yet.
Stay tuned for details when they come.
Next Meridian: 2023 (Q1 2023)
Meridian 2023 is still reasonably early in its development cycle, but you can expect it to contain, at the very least, the work that's going into Horizon 30.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Calendar of Events
Grace Hopper Celebration - Orlando, FL - September 20th through 23rd
Veena Kannan will be presenting a virtual lightning talk titled "Open Source 101 – Myth Buster Edition" at the Grace Hopper Celebration.
We don't know the day nor time of the presentation yet, more details to come.
All Things Open - Raleigh, NC - October 30th through November 2nd, 2022
The OpenNMS Group will be a live stream sponsor for All Things Open, and will have a booth in the exhibition hall.
A bunch of OpenNMS folks will be attending or helping out in the booth, so be sure to say hi!
Open Source Monitoring Conference - Nuremberg, Germany - November 14th through 16th
The OpenNMS Group is a gold sponsor of OSMC this year, and will have a booth as well.
Stop by and say hello!
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- ALEC-98: Hellinger Distance for ALEC
- ALEC-117: Screen to ask for permission to record ALEC data
- ALEC-131: Configuration Page where ALEC Engine is selected
- ALEC-157: How do we publish a production plugin (ALEC)?
- ALEC-159: FE: Reject/Accept situations
- ALEC-160: when no configuration is found @GET should respond with no content
- HS-132: Megamenu navbar component: node discovery & snackbar
- HS-192: Backend: Collect, store, and react to job results from Minions
- HS-193: DevOps: New time-series database
- HS-202: Dev Environment: New Notification service in Skaffold
- HS-261: Add device latitude/longitude fields
- HS-263: FE - Convert map module vuex stores into pinia
- HS-264: FE - Convert topo module vuex stores to pinia
- HS-267: FE - Fix tests that appear to have broken with update to feather v 0.17
- HS-268: Backend: BFF : Add API to retrieve latest time series data from Prometheus on
- HS-275: H Stream: sitemap updates
- HS-277: Develop CI/CD is broken
- NMS-14212: Update Events Documentation
- NMS-14483: Add KPIs for polls, metrics, events, and flows to datachoices telemetry
- NMS-14491: Add KPIs for Sink, RPC, and Time-series strategies to datachoices telemetry
- NMS-14506: Implement Velocloud Orchestrator API authentication
- NMS-14568: Spring Framework CVE-2022-22950 Remediation
- NMS-14574: Evaluate Cortex Plugin Performance
- NMS-14577: Archive site oci image resource is not found
- NMS-14592: Implement Velocloud Requisition Groundwork
- OIA-41: Support for flow persistence
- OIA-43: Test