It's time once again for OpenNMS On the Horizon.
Since last time, we worked on documentation (cortex time-series, quick start guide, style guide, Helm entity datasource), Horizon Stream (operator/skaffold/platform updates, Grafana integration, Minion, PagerDuty and notifications, Ignite, maps, UI widgets), datachoices telemetry, SCV, Docker, Cortex time-series plugin, datacollection/thresholding, 3rd-party license reporting, ALEC APIs, system IDs, Helm, UI event parameter handling, and DCB REST updates.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Alexander did some more work on counter support for device config backup datachoices telemetry
- Christian worked on fixing some issues with SCV initialization
- Mark Frazier continued to work on integrating the Minion into Horizon Stream
- Yang Li worked on Grafana integration/initialization in Stream
- Gerald updated Stream's Docker pipeline to BuildKit
- Gerald set up dev/prod profile support in Stream's UI deployment
- I updated our Docker base to use Ubuntu 22 (Jammy)
- Emily worked on the documentation style guide
- James implemented triggering PagerDuty on alarms in Stream
- Bonnie worked on documentation for the Cortex time-series plugin
- Łukasz did a bunch of work on plugin support in Stream Minion
- Dustin fixed an issue with datacollection thread-locking during threshold config changes
- Arthur worked on various platform/skaffold deployment issues in Stream
- Jason continued to work on cleaning up the skaffold build and local deployment in Stream
- Morteza and I worked on fixing the 3rd-party license list generator
- Jeffrey-David Kapp worked on more Kubernetes operator updates in Stream
- Benjamin Janssens updated the ALEC APIs to retrieve situations based on alarm ID
- Arthur and Łukasz continued to work on ignite integration in Stream
- Bonnie worked on the import section of the quick start guide
- I continued my work refactoring our docker image builds and deployments
- Patrick worked on updates to system UUID to make container-launched OpenNMS instances easier to identify
Web, REST, UI, and Helm
- Chinh Le continued to work on device support in the Horizon Stream maps
- Alberto added the associated
nodeIdto the supported SNMP interface model in OpenNMS.js and Helm
- Andy and Scott worked on updating Helm to move away from deprecated Angular UI plugins
- Mark added some documentation to the Helm entity datasource section
- Anya continued to do UI work for alarm timelines in ALEC
- Mike Rose started working on Stream UI widget/layout improvements
- Alex refactored event search parameter handling
- Scott worked on device config backup REST API and UI updates
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Patrick Schweizer
- Chinh Le
- Christian Pape
- Łukasz Dywicki
- Mark Frazier
- Alex May
- Scott Theleman
- Bonnie Robinson
- Jeffrey-David Kapp
- Benjamin Reed
- Anya Rybalova
- Alberto Ramos
- Alexander Chadfield
- Yang Li
- Morteza Ershad-Manesh
- Arthur Naseef
- Gerald Humphries
- Thomas Bigger
- Mark Mahacek
- Jason Berry
- Mike Rose
- Benjamin Janssens
- Dustin Frisch
- Emily Marsh
- James Hutchinson
- Dmitri Herdt
Coming Soon: JIRA Migration
We will be migrating our JIRA issue-tracker from a self-hosted version to Atlassian's cloud version.
I don't have a timeline for this yet, but expect it in the coming months.
If you currently have an account at the OpenNMS issue tracker your account should already be migrated to JIRA Cloud, but you will need to perform a password reset with the "Can't log in?" link before you can log in.
Releases and Roadmap
Upcoming September Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is September 14th, 2022.
We currently expect updates to Horizon 30 and all supported Meridian releases.
Next Horizon: 31 (Q4 2022)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 31.
It will contain a number of improvements, including:
- a refactoring of flow APIs including support for some flow hooks in the plugin API (plugin API 1.1.0+)
- major improvements and refactoring in Enlinkd's bridge topology mapping and collection scheduling
Next Meridian: 2023 (Q1 2023)
Meridian 2023 is still reasonably early in its development cycle, but you can expect it to contain, at the very least, the work that's going into Horizon 30.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Calendar of Events
Open Source Summit Europe - Dublin, Ireland - September 13th through 16th
We are a silver sponsor this year for Open Source Summit, and will be hosting a booth in the exhibition area.
Craig Gallen and some of the crew from Belfast will be there, so pop on by and say hello.
Open Source Day 2022 - September 16th
The OpenNMS Group is proud to support Grace Hopper Conference's Open Source Day (OSD) 2022, and our very own Sandy Skipper is serving on the OSD Steering Committee.
OSD is an all-day hackathon in which participants of all skill levels learn about open source while contributing to projects designed to solve real world problems.
The goal is to celebrate and encourage women in open source.
OSD will take place as a pre-event on Friday, September 16 from 8am - 3pm PDT. Participation is open to anyone who has a GHC registration ticket (in-person or virtual).
Grace Hopper Celebration - Orlando, FL - September 20th through 23rd
In addition to our involvement in Open Source Day, Veena Kannan will be presenting a virtual lightning talk at the Grace Hopper Conference titled "Open Source 101 – Myth Buster Edition" at the Grace Hopper Celebration.
Her talk will be Thursday the 22nd, at 11:00am.
All Things Open - Raleigh, NC - October 30th through November 2nd, 2022
All Things Open is local to our headquarters, and is a truly fantastic event.
We love it so much, we will be the exclusive live stream sponsor. 😉
We'll also have a booth in the exhibition hall.
A bunch of OpenNMS folks will be attending and/or helping out in the booth, so please be sure to say hi!
Open Source Experience - Paris, France - November 8th and 9th
We will be exhibiting at Open Source Experience in Paris, this year.
Open Source Monitoring Conference - Nuremberg, Germany - November 14th through 16th
The OpenNMS Group is a gold sponsor of OSMC this year, and will have a booth as well.
Stop by and say hello!
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- ALEC-164: Get and identify accepted and rejected situations
- ALEC-167: Figure out how to leverage Azure (and run virtual machines there).
- ALEC-169: Alarms endpoint only retrieve the first page
- ALEC-170: Endpoint to retrieve situations
- HELM-340: Entities DS documentation needs more details
- HS-128: Ability to disable operator updating of namespace
- HS-197: Backend: Integrate Grafana into Horizon Stream
- HS-224: UX/UI dashboard: minion/devices
- HS-289: Integrate local-sample/to-be-added-to-operator.yaml into Operator
- HS-305: FE - Dark mode leaflet layers
- HS-313: Metrics shouldn't be updated when service is Down
ideafolder without a dot isn't being gitignored
- HS-330: UX Prove of Concept: landing options
- HS-332: Wrong dark mode CSS styles for modals in prod build of UI
- HS-333: Changes for Operator
- HS-343: Skaffold killed when grafana failed to start due to the postgres db is not ready
- NMS-13570: Fix flaky smoke test : testHeartbeatOutages
- NMS-14068: Create a profile that skips building licenses
- NMS-14365: MinionHeartbeatOutageIT flapping
- NMS-14366: MinionHeartbeatOutageKafkaIT flapping
- NMS-14392: Create Topology Providers for Combined Protocols
- NMS-14573: standardize docker containers to use tarballs
- NMS-14641: Add KPI counters for DCB successful and failed backup
- NMS-14645: Thresholding blocks threads under load
- NMS-14666: Update all doc repos with link to new Antora UI bundle
- NMS-14675: Upgrade deploy base to latest Ubuntu LTS
- NMS-14677: Create Velocloud V1 client similar to current V2