In the last week we did a ton more bugfixing and enhancements related to Kafka, the Karaf CLI, Newts, Time-Series Metadata, Nephron, Flows, Minion, BMP, the measurements API, the Selenium monitor, ReST, and the web UI.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Bonnie updated the Kafka documentation to note settings that should be updated when using the Kafka producer and large network devices
- Dino fixed up the
- Bonnie worked on Newts installation instructions
- Jesse added some tracking of cardinality metrics in the timeseries metadata
- Stefan made some changes to the Nephron aggregation code for backwards-compatibility
- Dustin worked on improvements to the telemetry integration tests
- Bonnie cleaned up the Minion confd schema descriptions
- Chandra fixed an issue with lag in the Minion Heartbeat handling
- Jeff did a bit more work on Cassandra-related updates to Newts
- Chandra fixed a few timing issues with BMP
- Dustin fixed an issue with parsing extended sFlow
- Dustin fixed a bug in handling truncated datasource names in the measurements API
- Stefan worked on fixing a few more Nephron tests
- Stefan fixed a problem with confd system properties not being set properly in Minion
- Chandra worked on making the Selenium Monitor installable on the Minion
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- I worked on bumping our Vaadin framework dependency to the latest version
- Jane fixed an issue with the LLDP ReST API
- Christian backported some of the UI fixes made in Horizon 27 to previous branches
- Jane updated the web UI help page to point to the new docs and OpenAPI/Swagger UI
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Dino Yancey
- Dustin Frisch
- Jane Hou
- Jeff Gehlbach
- Jesse White
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Ronny Trommer
- Stefan Wachter
The next OpenNMS release day is May 11th, 2021.
Currently we expect a new Horizon 27 release, as well as Meridians 2019 and 2020.
Next Horizon: 28 (Q? 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 28.
Horizon 28 will still be coming down the pipeline soon.
Currently, we hope for it to contain the move to building with JDK 11 (and, consequently, a requirement to only run on JDK 11 or higher), QoS flow aggergation, and some other improvements in the pipeline.
Next Meridian: 2021 (Q2 2021)
Meridian 2021 is on track for a release in 2nd quarter of 2021. It is expected to be based on the Horizon 27.1 codebase, which means it will contain all of the bug fixes and new features introduced in Horizon 26 and 27.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-273: Drift (ES): Trying to create too many buckets.
- NMS-12500: Develop tree structure for docs
- NMS-12945: Nephron: add additional aggregations to support QoS filtering in Helm
- NMS-13039: Add a warning when enabling forwarding metrics through the Kafka Producer
- NMS-13099: Nephron: Add additional aggregations for backwards compatibilty and optimized access
- NMS-13100: Nephron: optimize aggregation calculation
- NMS-13101: Setting Instance ID via minon-config.yaml doesn't work
- NMS-13160: Web ui got stuck in 2020 :)
- NMS-13184: Re-enable Kafka RPC Single Topic By Default
- NMS-13224: Bmp Peer Up/Down Notification Message may be missed on OpenNMS/Sentinel
- NMS-13232: Heartbeat topic lag with a large number of minions
- NMS-13234: vmware integration connection pool not expiring connections
- NMS-13242: Admin Guide Newts Instructions Incomplete
- NMS-13247: Minion - Meridian Installation Documents Incorrect
- NMS-13255: Provide documentation for context-sensitive help in UI form
- NMS-13258: LLDP REST api miss local port info
- NMS-13261: Update Vaadin dependencies