Since last time, we worked on Provisiond, Karaf, Enlinkd and LLDP, the config management API, documentation, Sentinel, the Twin API, running as non-root, Maven improvements, Pollerd, IPv6 in the GeoIP provisioning adapter, config validation, flows, Azure PostgreSQL support, Kafka, Geomaps, FeatherDS Vue UI, and Helm.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Christian fixed an NPE in provisioning
- Stefan worked on some changes to bundle refresh in Karaf
- Christian worked on a performance issue in enlinkd
- Freddy cleaned up some test infrastructure in the config management branch
- Mark worked on KSC report, Discovery, and SSL documentation
- Mark Bordelon started implementing some event forwarding infrastructure for Sentinel
- Chandra did more work on some Twin API improvements
- Maxim worked on some Sentinel smoke test issues
- I fixed a number of bugs in non-root support
- Jerry and Jesse worked on some tools to map out Maven project components
- Ronny updated the docs to note about time sync issues between devices
- Stefan worked on some performance improvements to poller locking
- Antonio did more work on LLDP enhancements in Enlinkd
- Christian added IPv6 support to the GeoIP provisioning adapter
- Freddy did more work on storing validation info in the DB rather than XSDs
- Tikayat worked on migrating the WMI config to the config management API
- Dustin made some cache improvements to flow code
- Ronny updated the supported version docs for various 3rd-party tools
- Yang fixed the installer to work with Azure
[email protected]style PostgreSQL usernames
- Pushkar worked on
trapd-configuration.xmlsupport in the config management API
- Patrick worked on persisting Karaf configuration to the config management database
- Sean contributed an update to Kafka dependencies 3.0.0
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Jane worked on UI updates to the vue geomap including transitioning to Feather
- Farid did more work on showing alarm severity color on the vue geomap markers
- Mike worked on showing logs in the new UI
- Tripti, Mike, and Makarand worked on wrapping up the PoC for the new UI
- Stefan added support for adding a prefix or suffix to Helm results
- Stefan worked on support for multiple flow queries per panel in Helm
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Antonio Russo
- Benjamin Reed
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Dustin Frisch
- Farid Ahmad
- Freddy Chu
- Jane Hou
- Jerry Beuree
- Jesse White
- Makarand Patil
- Mark Bordelon
- Mark Mahacek
- Maxim Brener
- Mike Rose
- Patrick Schweizer
- Pushkar Suthar
- Ronny Trommer
- Sean Torres
- Stefan Wachter
- Tikayat Mohanta
- Tripti Bansal
- Yang Li
Completed November 2021 Releases - Horizon 29.0.0, Meridians 2021.1.6, 2020.1.14, 2019.1.25
In November, we released updates to all OpenNMS Meridian versions under active support, and introduced a new major release of Horizon.
Release 29.0.0 is the first in the Horizon 29 series, introducing running as non-root by default, optimizations to Minion communication, time-series improvements, support for Cortex for storing flow data, and more.
For a high-level overview of what has changed in Horizon 29, see What’s New in OpenNMS Horizon 29.
The codename for Horizon 29.0.0 is Turkey.
Meridian Point Releases
Meridian 2019.1.25 included a few small features updates and a number of bug fixes, including an XSS security issue in the notifications wizard.
Meridian 2020.1.14 added a fix for handling multiple authentication params in SNMPv3.
Meridian 2021.1.6 included an additional ReST fix, plus a number of documentation updates.
For a list of changes, see the release notes:
Upcoming December Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is December 8th, 2021.
We currently expect a minor update to Horizon 29.
Next Horizon: 30 (Q1 2022)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 30.
Horizon 29 is currently expected to have the following features:
- the start of a new Vue-based UI using the Feather Design System
- thresholding support for Flow data
- support for running OIA plugins on Minion and Sentinel
- support for backing up router configuration files
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q1 2022)
The current expectation is that we will release Meridian 2022 in Q1 of next year. It will be based on Horizon 29 plus any bug fixes that happen between November and the Meridian release.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-220: Decommission Helm on Bamboo
- HELM-298: Allow to prefix / suffix label names of flow series / summaries
- NMS-12177: Ubuntu /etc/init.d/opennms file
- NMS-12349: Create some services for firewalld
- NMS-12810: Update Provisioning chapter
- NMS-13284: EvaluationMetrics.log is contaminated with non-related metrics.
- NMS-13372: Provide ability to store aggregated flow data from Nephron in Cortex
- NMS-13496: Reflected XSS in webapp notice wizard
- NMS-13642: Update docs with Twin implementation
- NMS-13652: Add retry for RPC calls
- NMS-13715: Install script fails when using Azure PostgreSQL Services
- NMS-13716: Upgrade Kafka components to 3.0.0
- NMS-13720: Initial framework for new UI developed with Vue3 & FeatherDS
- NMS-13721: Update Netty to 4.1.69
- NMS-13724: Add hint for time sync on OpenNMS components
- NMS-13725: invalid permissions in /var/opennms on fresh install
- NMS-13726: JMS Twin doesn't work with minion user
- NMS-13727: Remove reference to DHCP plugin from docs
- NMS-13728: GeoIP Provisioning Adapter: SubnetUtils does not support IPv6
- NMS-13730: Migrate Discovery settings from wiki into docs
- NMS-13734: opennms.spec file tries to find out if gid 1000 is used but doesn't actually check hat
- NMS-13736: Upgrade to 29: fix-permissions script fails changing ownership
- NMS-13740: 28.1.1 deb package is missing opennms-snmp-metadata-provisioning-adapter-28.1.1.jar
- NMS-13742: Minion user not authorized to read from topic OpenNMS.Twin.Sink
- OIA-16: Time series persistence strategy