Since last time, we worked on documentation, Karaf, the classification engine, the Minion, Docker, running as non-root, health check, config management, CircleCI, Scriptd, SNMP, JMX, the Twin API, IFTTT, flows, traps, Enlinkd, requisitions, Provisiond, Geomaps, the Vue/FeatherDS UI, and OpenAPI ReST updates.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Mark, Bonnie, and Marcel continued to work on refactoring and cleaning up a bunch of documentation, plus adding missing data types and plugins.
- Yang worked no wrapping up updating our embedded Karaf to 4.3.
- Stefan did a bit more work on improving performance of classification engine updates.
- I fixed how minion docker image versions are generated to be more useful in snapshot builds.
- I fixed a few bugs in setup when running as non-root.
- Stefan updated the health-check Karaf CLI to support querying by tag.
- Patrick, Tikayat, Shankar, and Freddy continued to work on the config management backend.
- Stefan worked on caching/passive health checks and making them asynchronous.
- I worked on updating some of our CircleCI infrastructure.
- Alejandro fixed the Scriptd example to match current APIs.
- Christian worked on additional ways to collect hardware entities from SNMP.
- Christian fixed an issue with JMX counting in SNMP.
- Chandra worked on Karaf tools for dealing with the Twin API.
- Christian updated the IFTTT integration to use the TrustManager.
- Alejandro fixed a bug in timeseries evaluation.
- Chandra worked on the JMX twin implementation plus refactoring.
- Christian fixed some thread safety issues in flow option handling.
- Chandra worked on some V1 trap handling fixes.
- Jasper Vandemalle fixed a bunch of typos and such in the docs.
- Antonio worked on Enlinkd support for
- Stefan did some optimizations for flow data.
- Chandra worked on updating the Twin API for supporting passing only changes down the wire.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Sagar, Jesse, and Maxim worked on requisition handling in the Vue UI.
- Jane, Farid, and I did more work on the port of the geomap to Vue.
- Tripti worked on editing provisiond config in the Vue UI.
- Pushkar and Upendra added OpenAPI docs for the Event, IfService, and Minion ReST services.
- Mike updated the Vue proof-of-concept to use FeatherDS for UI.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Alejandro Galue
- Antonio Russo
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Farid Ahmad
- Freddy Chu
- Jane Hou
- Jasper Vandemalle
- Jesse White
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Mark Mahacek
- Maxim Brener
- Mike Rose
- Patrick Schweizer
- Pushkar Suthar
- Sagar Salunkhe
- Shankar Suman
- Stefan Wachter
- Tikayat Mohanta
- Tripti Bansal
- Upendra Guggilam
- Yang Li
Upcoming October Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is October 13th, 2021.
We currently expect a Horizon 28 release, as well as all supported Meridians.
Next Horizon: 29 (Q4 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 29.
The current roadmap for Horizon 29 includes the following goals:
- running as non-root by default
- refactor the Minion's communication to get rid of out-of-band ReST calls to the OpenNMS core
- add support for persistence of flows to Cortex
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q? 2022)
With Meridian 2021 recently out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include -- at the very least -- the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements from Horizon 28.
Ideally it will contain work going into Horizons 29 (and probably 30) if our timeline holds. 😅
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-10476: Document data types in collectd
- NMS-12034: non-root user:group file permissions
- NMS-13271: Fix example configuration for Scriptd
- NMS-13458: Nephron: Document Cortex related functionality in Confluence
- NMS-13489: SNMPv3 traps are not counted correctly in JMX metrics
- NMS-13510: Merge the Operations/Operations documentation section into Operations/Administration
- NMS-13514: Geo-map: investigate leaflet marker cluster in vue3
- NMS-13521: Add OpenAPI docs for EventRestService
- NMS-13524: Move monitors docs to the Reference section
- NMS-13525: Move detectors to reference section
- NMS-13526: Move collectors to reference section
- NMS-13527: Move telemetryd (streaming telemetry) to reference section
- NMS-13529: Move ticketing docs to reference section
- NMS-13547: Minion: Health ReST API: Lightweight/passive health check for broker/OpenNMS
- NMS-13562: Move provisioning policies to the reference section
- NMS-13575: Implement HW inventory Provisioning adapter API to support Juniper HW
- NMS-13577: Optimize ip address handling in flow classification engine
- NMS-13578: Nephron: Remove FlowSummaryData
- NMS-13580: optimize repeated reloads of the flow classification engine
- NMS-13586: Add full trapoid for Snmp V1
- NMS-13587: Signed Minion container bleeding image shows revision as meridian-foundation-2021.1.4-1-487
- NMS-13591: Meridian Minion images do not include release
- NMS-13592: Add 'tag' argument to health-check command
- NMS-13604: Research on Display different colors on map base on alarm severity
- NMS-13609: Horizon release-28.x builds fail with a certificate error
- NMS-13611: Geolocator Doc Clarification