Since last time, we updated Helm, Minion, and detector docs, Kafka event/alarm streams, time-series Karaf utilities, Nephron benchmarking, non-root OpenNMS, JVM startup options, Minion config schema publishing, metadata search support, Newts Datastax support, Vue3 UI prototyping, Minion health check, and Helm.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Bonnie updated documentation for Helm and the Flow Deep-Dive dashboard, the Minion deployment guide, and component filters.
- Ronny worked on Minion installation doc updates.
- Marcel made some updates to BsfDetector documentation.
- Chandra worked on adding more node fields to the event/alarm protobuf definition for kafka streams.
- Patrick did more work on exposing time-series commands to the Karaf CLI.
- Stefan continued his work on Nephron flow testing and benchmarking.
- I did some more work on running OpenNMS as non-root.
- I updated the opennms startup script to support setting
opennms.confto override the JVM's default
- I wrapped up my work to publish the minion config schema.
- Christian worked on adding metadata support to the search API.
- Mark added some extra documentation for Helm node filter and resource queries.
- I worked on updating and fixing tests for Jeff's Datastax Newts branch.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Mike and Maxim did more work on a basic Vue3 UI framework.
- Jane continued to work on enhancing the Minion health check ReST API.
- I fixed an issue in the Helm build preventing publication in the Grafana plugin registry.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Dustin Frisch
- Jane Hou
- Jesse White
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Mark Mahacek
- Maxim Brener
- Mike Rose
- Patrick Schweizer
- Ronny Trommer
- Stefan Wachter
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the first Tuesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is July 6th, 2021.
We currently expect at least a Horizon 28.0.1 release, plus updates for all supported Meridian releases.
Next Horizon: 29 (Q4 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 29.
The current roadmap for Horizon 29 includes the following goals:
- running as non-root by default
- refactor the Minion's communication to get rid of out-of-band ReST calls to the OpenNMS core
- add support for persistence of flows to Cortex
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q? 2022)
With Meridian 2021 recently out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include -- at the very least -- the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements from Horizon 28.
Ideally it will contain work going into Horizons 29 (and probably 30) if our timeline holds. 😅
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-154: Introduce resourceFilter (similar to nodeFilter but for resources)
- HELM-285: Document Flow Deep Dive Dashboard
- HELM-287: Helm 7.1.0 package from github throws Modified Signature
- HELM-290: Expand Performance Datasource variable query docs
- NMS-8529: WebMonitor is not in admin documentation
- NMS-10209: Add documentation for the Alarm Northbounders
- NMS-10248: Add a template section for config files for collectors
- NMS-10320: Document the Admin > Discovery web UI pages
- NMS-10386: REST API Documentation for ack/unack alarms
- NMS-11755: Newts installation is broken due to dependency issues on Debian
- NMS-12778: Incorporate node related information to events and alarms topic in opennms-kafka-producer feature
- NMS-13016: Allow OpenNMS Core service to run as non-root
- NMS-13063: uei.opennms.org/internal/applicationChanged and /applicationCreated event definition is missing
- NMS-13173: Add operator instructions for graphInvalidated
- NMS-13251: Proofread Minion content in deployment guide
- NMS-13285: Publish minion config schema
- NMS-13294: Meridian installation guide is incomplete
- NMS-13300: Evaluate the E rated Sonar cloud issues in WebApps
- NMS-13314: Meta-Data cannot be deleted using UI
- NMS-13323: Maven: external HTTP insecure URLs are blocked
- NMS-13334: Update Develop Documentation Section of Developer Guide
- NMS-13362: Implement Kafka Consumer for events (protobuf)
- NMS-13367: Allow setting java heap minimum and maximum values in opennms.conf
- NMS-13378: Search result view is not configurable