In the last week we wrapped up some stuff for the releases, improved more documentation, continued to refactor the remote poller, made some RPC and Karaf improvements, and more.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- I wrapped up my work on support for a simple plaintext Graphite telemetry adapter.
- Chandra fixed an issue with multiple nodeDown messages on Pollerd reload.
- Bonnie added documentation on generating PDFs from Grafana dashboards.
- Bonnie worked on docs for the Prometheus collector.
- Jesse released a new version of OIA to be included in Horizon 26.1.0.
- Bonnie and Ronny worked on documenting restarting subsystems and thresholding.
- Sean worked on updates to Elasticsearch used in unit tests.
- Chandra fixed an issue with streaming telemetry and JDK 11.
- Pierre did more work on adding more confd options to the Minion.
- Marcel and Ronny updated the documentation for the SystemExecuteMonitor.
- Dustin continued to work on refactoring remote poller functionality to the Minion.
- Sean updated the Kafka components to version 2.5.0.
- Sean worked on making HealthCheck support doing a subset of checks.
- Chandra updated the Minion RPC to avoid creating too many threads.
- Matt added support for encrypting password storage in the Karaf container.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Patrick worked on tooltip support for the legacy graph provider.
Thanks to all of the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Dustin Frisch
- Jeff Gehlbach
- Jesse White
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Matthew Brooks
- Patrick Schweizer
- Pierre Bouffard
- Ronny Trommer
- Sean Torres
May release day was the 5th, and it brought updates to both Horizon and Meridian.
We introduced new Meridian versions for 2017 through 2019, mostly with minor bug fixes and a few documentation enhancements in 2019.
Horizon got a more substantial update, with bug fixes, a Prometheus collector, Graphite listener support, an Influx timeseries implementation, and a whole bunch of flow and other enhancements.
Calendar of Events
June Releases - June 2nd, 2020
The next OpenNMS release day is June 2nd, 2020. Currently we expect point/bug fix releases of Meridian 2019 and Horizon 26.
Until Next Week…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-237: Flow deep dive dashboard shows interfaces which don't belong to the selected node
- NMS-9581: Document JDBCQueryMonitor "compare_string" Action
- NMS-9804: Documentation: Install Guide: Compatibility Matrix Outdated
- NMS-12269: Netscaler vServer SNMP collection and graph definitions
- NMS-12568: Add an example for SystemExecuteMonitor into the docs
- NMS-12647: Update smoketests to support various Kafka compression codecs
- NMS-12650: Provide written procedures on the proper way to restart
- NMS-12681: Reloading the Pollerd daemon causes multiple nodeDown messages
- NMS-12684: Add upgrade task to enable RemotePollerNG
- NMS-12688: Streaming Telemetry is broken when using OpenJDK 11 and minion
- NMS-12694: Add tooltip support to the LegacyGraphProvider
- NMS-12695: add a telemetry adapter for the Graphite plaintext protocol