It's time once again for OpenNMS On the Horizon.
Since last time, we worked on the config manager, documentation for Nephron, the web UI, datacollection, and flow thresholds, flapping tests, provisioning scanning on Minion, Minion docker publishing in Azure, running as non-root, JDK17 support, IP validation, Netflow template options, device config backup, Kafka IPC, a plugin API for the web UI, and graphs.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Pushkar did more work on converting SNMP configs to the config manager
- Bonnie wrapped up her work cleaning up the main README
- I spent more time trying to clean up integration and smoke test flappers
- Jesse and I fixed a bug in provisiond accessing JAXB serialization on Minion
- Bonnie worked on Nephron and web UI documentation
- Julian did more work on publishing Minion docker images to Azure
- Patrick did more work on handling multiple configurations in the config manager
- I fixed the
fix-karaf-setup.shto rerun itself as the correct user
- Freddy worked on some refactoring and tests for SNMP configs
- Marcel did some updates to datacollection documentation
- Alex worked on IP address validation in requisitions
- I worked on moving from EasyMock to Mockito in a bunch of unit and integration tests
- Brent fixed up weekly test coverage runs in Sonar
- Stefan fixed an issue in Netflow template option handling
- Chandra worked on wrapping up the device config backup core implementation
- Christian did some more work on docs for flow thresholding
- Chandra worked on some issues with the new unified Kafka IPC config
- Pierre made some updates to the Minion confd schema
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Yang Li worked on a web plugin extension API
- Mike continued his work on graphing/charting in the new UI
- Stefan worked on a REST service for device config backups
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Freddy Chu
- Pushkar Suthar
- Chandra Gorantla
- Patrick Schweizer
- Yang Li
- Mike Rose
- Julian Buliga
- Bonnie Robinson
- Benjamin Reed
- Scott Thompson
- Stefan Wachter
- Pierre Bouffard
- Christian Pape
- Brent Borovan
- Alex May
- Maxim Brener
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Antonio Russo
- Ronny Trommer
Upcoming February Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is February 9th, 2022.
We currently expect updates to Horizon 29 and all supported Meridian releases.
Next Horizon: 30 (Q2 2022)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 30.
Horizon 30 is currently expected to have the following features:
- the start of a new Vue-based UI using the Feather Design System
- thresholding support for Flow data
- support for running OIA plugins on Minion and Sentinel
- support for backing up router configuration files
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q1 2022)
The current expectation is that we will release Meridian 2022 in Q1 of next year. It will be based on Horizon 29 plus any bug fixes that happen between November and the Meridian release.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-13213: Update Readme file content
- NMS-13694: Migrate Discourse charts article into main docs
- NMS-13865: Lunr search indexing runs out of memory while building the docs
- NMS-13876: Vue UI Housekeeping
- NMS-13881: fix-karaf-setup.sh should honor RUNAS
- NMS-13923: TIMETETRA LLDP supported device does not persist all remote links
- NMS-13926: Agg Flow via Nephron showing gaps/drops since upgrading to 29.0.4
- NMS-13927: Minion fails to marshall requisition with JAXB error: Class [org.opennms.netmgt.model.PrimaryTypeAdapter] not found