Sorry for the missing OOH last week, I was on vacation.
Since last time, we worked on the config API, OIA, the time-series API, Netflow debugging, Telemetryd config, the flow classification rule parser, trap OID handling, WSman config validation, documentation, syslog hostname resolution, asynchronous node processing in Kafka, UI cleanups, opennms.js, ReST fixes and updates, Vue gomaps and UI proof-of-concept, Cortex flows in Helm, and OpenAPI documentation.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Freddy and Patrick continued the work on the new configuration API.
- Chandra updated OIA to build with JDK 11 by default.
- Patrick continued his work on improvements to the time-series API.
- Chandra did more work updating our Guava dependency.
- Christian worked on some improved debugging in the netflow parser.
- Chritian fixed an issue with handling extraneous whitespace in the telemetry config.
- Stefan reworked the classification rule parser for performance.
- Chandra worked on optimizing the loading of the
- Chandra did more work on adding the full trap OID to the list of parameters.
- David added support for validation of the WSman config.
- Mark worked on more Provisiond doc updates.
- Chandra did more work on properly resolving hostnames for incoming Syslog messages.
- Marcel did a bunch of updates in the daemon reference docs.
- Bonnie did more work on structure cleanup in the docs.
- Chandra worked on updating the Kafka producer to process nodes asynchronously.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Jeff worked on cleanup of inputs in the path outage page.
- I released an updated version of opennms.js that supports new entities in the entity datasource.
- I did more work updating the search properties ReST API to support more properties.
- Jane continued to work on the new Vue-based geomaps.
- Sagar, Tripti, and Mike worked on the Vue-based UI PoC.
- Stefan made some updates to the Cortex version of the flow deep dive dashboard.
- Tikayat, Sonukumar, Shankar, and Upendra worked on adding OpenAPI documentation for some of the ReST services.
- Christian updated the service status page to show parsed patterns.
- Yang Li did more work on ReST APIs to support the new Vue UI.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- David Schlenk
- Freddy Chu
- Jane Hou
- Jeff Gehlbach
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Mark Mahacek
- Maxim Brener
- Mike Rose
- Patrick Schweizer
- Ronny Trommer
- Sagar Salunkhe
- Shankar Suman
- Sonukumar Gupta
- Stefan Wachter
- Tikayat Mohanta
- Tripti Bansal
- Upendra Guggilam
- Yang Li
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is September 8th, 2021.
We currently expect a Horizon 28.0.3 release and updated Meridians 2019 through 2021.
Next Horizon: 29 (Q4 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 29.
The current roadmap for Horizon 29 includes the following goals:
- running as non-root by default
- refactor the Minion's communication to get rid of out-of-band ReST calls to the OpenNMS core
- add support for persistence of flows to Cortex
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q? 2022)
With Meridian 2021 recently out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include -- at the very least -- the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements from Horizon 28.
Ideally it will contain work going into Horizons 29 (and probably 30) if our timeline holds. 😅
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-188: Entity DS does not fetch SNMP Primary IP or ifIndex for Nodes
- HELM-228: Add IP- and SNMP-interface, ifService, outage support to Helm Entity DS
- NMS-13422: Add the full trap oid for v2 snmp event
- NMS-13446: Update Provisiond Docs
- NMS-13455: Geo-map: work with Ben designing RESTful API for Geo-map page
- NMS-13468: validate wsman-config.xml
- NMS-13473: Migrate VMware config from wiki to docs
- NMS-13477: Trailing whitespace breaks flow listener config
- NMS-13480: Enhance exception handling for parse error in flows
- NMS-13506: Geo Map: make use of modules for vuex store so that the code can be easily integrated into larger project
- NMS-13509: Bump Apache Ant version to 1.10.11 (CVE-2021-36373, CVE-2021-36374)
- NMS-13511: Use Karaf shell commands to secure Minion SSH Karaf access
- NMS-13515: Reformat tables (again)
- NMS-13517: Service Parameters box misses Poller Patterns
- NMS-13518: missing fields in search autocomplete
- NMS-13533: geo-map: initiate geo-map typescript project
- NMS-13536: Update abuse e-mail address in CONTRIBUTING.md of OpenNMS repo
- OIA-20: Integration API should be able to compile on JDK11