Since last time, we continued to work on improved documentation and testing, plus Minion startup, Nephron, running as non-root, Time-Series enhancements, a Karaf shell command for Telemetryd response time, OpenJDK 17 building, RPC handling of metadata, and a proof-of-concept for a vue3 web UI.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Bonnie worked on documentation for Helm, and Horizon development and images.
- I worked on cleaning up some smoke tests.
- Christian worked on some fixes to Minion startup to make it more testable.
- Stefan worked on more improvements to the Nephron testing frameworks.
- Ronny worked on cleaning up some installation docs.
- I continued to work on updating Horizon to run as non-root by default.
- Patrick and Jesse did more work on time-series improvements.
- Ronnie did some doc updates for running as non-root.
- Sean did some updates to test using newer SNMP4J.
- Patrick did more work on metadata processing in the time-series API.
- Dustin worked on adding a Karaf shell command for inspecting telemetryd.
- Dustin did a little more work on his enhancement to store service status in response time resources.
- I did some work on testing building/startup with OpenJDK 17.
- Stefan worked on some other improvements to Nephron.
- I worked on pushing the Minion confd schema to Cloudsmith for reference.
- Christian worked on RPC interpolation of metadata.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Jesse and Mike worked on some basic infrastructure for a vue3 based UI.
- Christian fixed up the tests for his Metadata updates.
- Jane did more work on ReST APIs for querying Minion health.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Christian Pape
- Dustin Frisch
- Jane Hou
- Jesse White
- Mike Rose
- Patrick Schweizer
- Ronny Trommer
- Sean Torres
- Stefan Wachter
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the first Tuesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is July 6th, 2021.
We currently expect at least a Horizon 28.0.1 release, plus updates for all supported Meridian releases.
Next Horizon: 29 (Q4 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 29.
The current roadmap for Horizon 29 includes the following goals:
- running as non-root by default
- refactor the Minion's communication to get rid of out-of-band ReST calls to the OpenNMS core
- add support for persistence of flows to Cortex
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q? 2022)
With Meridian 2021 recently out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include -- at the very least -- the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements from Horizon 28.
Ideally it will contain work going into Horizons 29 (and probably 30) if our timeline holds. 😅
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-10584: Table Formatting Issue in SNMP Configuration API Docs
- NMS-11790: Add Node ID reference to noticeWizard
- NMS-12132: Describe on a high level what a Minion is
- NMS-12469: Remove outdated standalone Minion documentation
- NMS-12567: Online documentation links in snapshot builds are invalid
- NMS-12620: OpenNMS won't start after upgrade: error hidden!
- NMS-12765: Document v2 REST API
- NMS-13176: Nephron: add benchmark launcher
- NMS-13257: PageSequenceMonitor not accepting metadata in
- NMS-13297: Evaluate and identify areas of improvements in OpenNMS side to address Minion low bandwidth scenario
- NMS-13301: Evaluate sonar cloud issues in the webapis
- NMS-13312: Health-check: provide restful api to query health for different tags
- NMS-13326: Nephron: Reduce Memory Churn
- NMS-13338: Create DnsDetector docs
- NMS-13340: Create HostResourceSWRunDetector docs
- NMS-13371: Update images chapter in docs remove two chapters