Since last time, we worked on Nephron, DNS requisitions, documentation, SSL bugs, test flappers, notifications, time-series, Helm, topology, and UI updates.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Stefan worked on fixing a few Nephron bugs, as well as updating it to JDK11 and Flink 1.12.
- Christian wrapped up some work on location-aware fixes for the DNS requisition provider.
- Mark made some documentation fixes for the Prometheus collector, PageSequenceMonitor, and syslog config.
- Chandra fixed an issue with BouncyCastle breaking some SSL-related operations.
- I worked on fixing some test flappers.
- Chandra wrapped up his fixes to notifications during scheduled outages.
- Stefan reworked Nephron's pipeline processing to use built-in Kafka APIs for delay tracking.
- Patrick worked on some improvements to cache handling in the Time-Series API.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- I fixed an issue in Helm where entity search queries would only return the first 1000 results.
- Antonio added some test coverage for unresolvable topologies.
- Jeff and Christian added some parameter validation improvements to the UI.
- I released Helm 7.1.0, which includes the DSCP QoS/ToS improvements coming in Horizon 28.
- Mark updated his flow dashboard improvements in Helm.
- Jane fixed the outdated favicon in the UI.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Antonio Russo
- Benjamin Reed
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Jane Hou
- Jeff Gehlbach
- Mark Mahacek
- Patrick Schweizer
- Pierre Bouffard
- Stefan Wachter
The next OpenNMS release day is June 1st, 2021.
Barring complications, we expect the first Horizon 28 release, plus Meridian releases for 2018 and up.
Next Horizon: 28 (Q2 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 28.
It will be the first OpenNMS release requiring JDK 11.
It will also contain a number of other improvements, plus a new feature for flows: DSCP QoS/ToS aggregation for nodes, plus a bunch of plumbing work to improve flow aggregation in general.
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q? 2022)
With Meridian 2021 out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include, at the very least, the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements of Horizon 28.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-253: Helm: create QoS filter dropdown to select QoS queue
- HELM-254: Helm: create 'Total traffic by QOS tag grouped by Interface/Exporter' graph
- HELM-255: Helm: create 'Top K applications by QOS/Interface/Exporter' graph
- HELM-256: Helm: create 'Top K conversations by QOS/Interface/Exporter' graph
- HELM-257: Helm: create 'Top K hosts by QOS/Interface/Exporter' graph
- HELM-258: Helm: add filter to flow editor alowing to select a ToS
- HELM-259: Helm: determine which information should be displayed in the ToS selection field
- HELM-260: Allow multiple values for ToS/DSCP/ECN filters
- HELM-274: Filter panel filter column did not return complete list
- HELM-276: Flows and performance data source configuration is empty
- HELM-278: Release Helm 7.1.0
- IPL-37: Support for PostgreSQL 13
- NMS-12357: BMP Support
- NMS-12925: Visualize Netflow traffic by QoS
- NMS-12947: Elastic Flow Repository: modify ReST API to support queries including QoS (aggregated and raw queries)
- NMS-13086: Optimize flow queries in case no DSCP or ECN filter exists
- NMS-13223: Incorrect reference to org.opennms.netmgt.syslog.cfg
- NMS-13262: Nephron - Update Java and Flink
- NMS-13266: Notifications received despite Schedule Outage applies
- NMS-13272: minion-config-schema.yml java agent example as a string
- NMS-13278: Location aware Requisitions from DNS
- NMS-13296: Threat Modelling for DCT
- NMS-13305: Unable to graph data from node_exporter stored in newts indexed by label