In the last week we worked on documentation, OpenConfig gRPC, OpenNMS startup, OIA, SNMPv3 credentials, CI, and moving remote polling to the Minion.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Chandra worked on an OpenConfig gRPC telemetry implementation
- Ronny fixed up some formatting issues in documentation
- I updated our Log4j2 to the latest version
- I fixed a few issues with PID file handling, including writing a PID when run under
$OPENNMS_HOME/logs/after a rergression
- Patrick worked on some OIA integration tests
- Bonnie did a bunch more documentation updates including fixing the HTTPS Jetty docs, Grafana PDF reports, and user management
- Chandra did a bit more work on storing SNMPv3 credentials securely
- I worked on trying to switch our CI workflow to use the new Cloudsmith repos
- Christian continued to work on polishing the new remote poller Minion functionality
Thanks to all of the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Jeff Gehlbach
- Patrick Schweizer
- Ronny Trommer
- Sean Torres
Calendar of Events
Upcoming Releases - August 4th, 2020
The next OpenNMS release day is August 4th, 2020.
Currently we expect new bugfix releases from Meridian 2019 and Horizon 26.
Also coming up soon is Horizon 27, hopefully by early fall.
It's going to contain a bunch of great stuff:
- improvements to node caching for flow processing
- VMware metadata has been moved from assets to the new node metadata
- Minion improvements, including configuration enhancements and an overhaul to RPC thread-handling
- a new handy global search bar in the web UI
- a major rework of remote poller functionality, now integrated with the Minion (we're calling it Application Perspective Monitoring)
- BMP improvements
This year we will, for obvious reasons, not be doing our normal yearly Dev-Jam hackathon.
With that in mind, we're going to try doing something completely different: Virtual Dev-Jam.
We have a Minecraft server we'll be running, with support for positional sound using Mumble, which means you can be there and hear audio only from the folks near you.
We also plan on doing some other social stuff.
For details, check out VIRTUAL DEVJAM.
Until Next Week…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-12731: Optimize Performance of Timeseries Integration Layer
- NMS-12770: Fix docs warnings for resource-types, time series config and thresholding
- NMS-12787: Update log4j2 to 2.13.2
- NMS-12791: Backport log4j version update to older release(s)
- NMS-12795: Support for optional snmpTrapAddress varbind needs documenting
- NMS-12796: Move integration test to OIA
- NMS-12798: Profile Performance of TSS
- NMS-12803: Missing image reference on Grafana PDF reports documentation
- NMS-12804: Broken link to "Standalone HTTPS with Jetty" in documentation.
- NMS-12807: Misnumbered table of contents