OpenNMS On the Horizon
It's time for OpenNMS On the Horizon!
In the last couple of weeks we merged a number of new features that have been in the works for a while (graph API, off-heap storage), fixed a bunch of bugs, and started on reworking some documentation.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Markus enhanced the new graph API to expose status information.
- Patrick continued his work refactoring the time-series APIs.
- Chandra continued his work on adding gRPC support for the Minion.
- Matt fixed another bug in the dreaded syslog date parsing algorithm.
- Bonnie made a bunch of improvements to the Helm documentation.
- Marcel fixed a bug where datacollection failures could be masked by auto-clean.
- Chandra fixed some issues with using the default foreign source during discovery.
- Christian worked on normalizing our Karaf shell commands.
- Markus worked on fixing a performance issue with locking in ALEC topology updates.
- Pierre, Jesse, and I worked on fixing build issues with Maven Central blocking non-HTTPS connections.
- Dustin continued his work on BMP support in Telemetryd.
- Pierre converted events internally to be immutable.
- Markus started adding graph API support to OIA.
- Chandra worked on making Kafka RPC topics more configurable.
- Matt finished his new implementation of off-heap storage for the sink API.
Web, ReST, and UI
- Qauseen added pagination to the node search modal in Helm.
- Qauseen fixed a performance issue where the Helm panel would refresh for each alarm being cleared, rather than when it finished.
- Markus and I worked on fixing custom date formatting in AngularJS.
- Christian fixed an NPE in the MIB compiler.
Calendar of Events
February Releases - February 4th, 2020
The next OpenNMS release day is February 4th, 2020.
There will be more details as we continue to work on issues, but currently it is expected we'll put out the following releases:
- Horizon 25.1.3
- Meridian 2019.1.3
FOSDEM 2020 - Brussels, Belgium - Feb 1st and 2nd, 2020
SCaLE 18x - Pasadena, California - March 5th through 8th, 2020
Tarus Balog will be speaking at SCaLE 18x on alarm correlation (ALEC) and other technologies for large-scale monitoring with OpenNMS.
His presentation is on Saturday the 7th at 4:30pm.
Until Next Week…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-64: Node search allows only to select the first 25 nodes
- HELM-201: Panel Refreshes After Each Request When Clearing Multiple Alarms
- HELM-204: Document how to use filters for forecasting metrics
- NMS-10586: Sink API: Persistent Off-Heap Storage
- NMS-10720: Make Events immutable (avoid CMEs and fix non-deterministic behavior)
- NMS-12086: Provide a better graph service with an actual API/Model and better import/export/integration capabilities
- NMS-12411: Discovery and foreignSource service detection get in the way
- NMS-12459: MIB Compiler fails with Null Pointer Exception
- NMS-12460: The Karaf poller:test command is not location aware