It’s time for OpenNMS On the Horizon!
In the last week we did more work on Sentinel and flow backend code, tests and CI, reporting, and Helm.
Github Project Updates
- Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Jesse did more work stabilizing smoke tests.
- Sean continued his work improving the CircleCI workflow.
- Dustin did more work on validating Netflow 9 graphing/data.
- Ron Roskens continued to work on getting builds/tests running under JDK 11.
- Dustin fixed the metadata DSL to work with PageSequenceMonitor configs.
- Ronny worked on converting container images to use Confd rather than custom shell scripting.
- Jesse worked around a potential deadlock in Drools while shutting down.
- Sean worked on updating our Kafka components to 2.3.0.
- Matt continued his work persisting threshold config to PostgreSQL and syncing across Sentinel/OpenNMS.
- Sean added some configurable enhancements to the new DNS resolver.
- Jesse worked on improving diagnostics and performance of the JMS (ActiveMQ) RPC.
- Web, ReST, and UI
- Markus did more work on simplifying the UI for scheduling reports.
- I worked on updating OpenNMS.js and Helm to use Dependabot to keep dependencies up-to-date.
- I added support for customizing column centering in the Helm alarm table.
- Jesse updated the Grafana reports to show the time range in the header.
- Jesse fixed some Helm compatibility issues with Grafana 6.3.
- Patrick continued his work on making filter priority customizable.
- Christian fixed a memory leak in the ops board.
Tarus Balog Out On Medical Leave
On the morning of Friday, July 26th, a driver crossed the centerline and hit the Ford F-150 Tarus was driving nearly head on. He sustained several injuries included a fractured vertebrae and a crushed left ankle.
He has reluctantly gone on Medical leave and while we hope to have him back soon he will most likely be out until the end of September. He is still checking email but please understand his responses may be delayed while we wish him a full recovery.
Upcoming Events and Appearances
- All Things Open in Raleigh, NC - October 13th through 15th
Tarus Balog will be speaking at All Things Open again this year. It’s a wonderful open-source conference here in the back yard of The OpenNMS Group’s offices.
The speaking schedule is still to be determined.
- NETHINKS Training in Fulda, Germany - October 21st through 25th
NETHINKS will be offering German-language training in their headquarters in Fulda, Germany the week of October 21st.
For more details or to sign up, see the NETHINKS training page.
- OSMC 2019 in Nuremberg, Germany - November 4th through 7th
We will be at OSMC in November.
There will be a 1-day workshop on November 4th, focusing on getting started with OpenNMS including notifications, alarms, and graphing in Grafana with Helm.
Until Next Week…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-137: Create a filter panel
- HELM-166: Grafana integration seems to be broken since v6.3.0
- JS-36: Update to TypeScript 3 and Babel 7
- JS-37: remove typescript-logging from OpenNMS.js
- JS-40: Enable Dependabot on OpenNMS.js
- NMS-8283: Possible Memory Leak in Ops Board
- NMS-9535: importFailed exposes the vcenter credentials
- NMS-10376: Document RPC TTL tuning
- NMS-12058: Customize priority of flow classification rules
- NMS-12065: Flow classification role
- NMS-12150: Add ability to edit existing scheduled reports
- NMS-12170: Grafana reporting: Render exceptions in images instead of aborting
- NMS-12194: Update warmerge plugin dependency to 0.5
- NMS-12195: Enhance Jaeger OpenTracing Logging with tag for thread name
- NMS-12200: Grafana Reporting: Add time to date range in report header of template
- NMS-12201: Drools engine hangs on shutdown
- NMS-12206: Minion can’t be started after installation from RPM/DEB with OpenJDK 11
- NMS-12207: Minion memory leak related to new DNS lookup functionality
- NMS-12211: Can’t connect to Karaf Shell in Minion on Debian/Ubuntu