While our documentation is constantly improving, it is easier for newcomers to follow someone who explains ideas and concepts of OpenNMS. Tarus Balog started a great video tutorial session which gives everything you need to get started with OpenNMS. The online training is divided into several modules which you can find on the OpenNMS YouTube channel. Modules are organized as follows:
- Module 0: Introduction
- Module 1a/1b: Installation via RPM and DEB
- Module 2: Getting started, ie, how you use the WebUI and find information
- Module 3: OpenNMS driven by Events
- Module 4: Get Notifications for outages
- Module 5: Generating Alarms
- Module 6: SNMP overview
- Module 7: SNMP traps
- Module 8: Service monitoring
- Module 9: The Page Sequence Monitor, for performing a set of actions on a web page
- Module 10: The Passive Status Keeper, for monitoring things that can't be easily polled
- Module 11: Data Collection and graphing
- Module 12: Thresholds
In case you've never heard about OpenNMS and the above sounds interesting to you, watch the following introduction module.
Enjoy the sessions with Tarus and hopefully OpenNMS.