It's time once again for OpenNMS On the Horizon.
Since last time, we worked on time-series deduplication, Enlinkd, Horizon startup scripts, CircleCI optimizations, documentation (detectors, trap config, git config management, and device config backup types), Flows, Keycloak, Grafana, OSGi, SCV, Karaf, Telemetryd, Horizon Stream (HTTP client, GraphQL support, UI), events, SNMP config encryption, Newts, alarm UI, ALEC UI, Helm REST queries, and appliance UI.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Patrick continued his work on deduplicating metrics in OIA time-series queries.
- Antonio did more refactoring/cleanup of Enlinkd code.
- Alex fixed a bug where the Horizon Docker container would write
RUNAS=on each startup.
- Alex worked on the rerun-as-
- Morteza merged his initial work templatizing the CircleCI build.
- Emily worked on documentation for the JdbcDetector.
- Bonnie did more work on trap configuration documentation.
- Jesse did more work on flow ingress/egress handling.
- Christian fixed some outdated doc links in various places.
- Chandra fixed some issues with time-series API loading in Karaf.
- Jason did more work on Keycloak and Grafana integration.
- Christian fixed some issues with OSGi exports in the core DB project.
- Christian added an
scv-listcommand to view SCV aliases in the Karaf shell.
- Jesse worked on a utility to replay pcap files in Karaf for Telemetryd testing.
- Yang Li worked on an HTTP client connection leak in Horizon Stream.
- Emily worked on documentation for managing configs with Git.
- Chandra fixed some dependency issues in the collection API.
- Scott updated some documentation for device config backup config types.
- Morteza did more work on CircleCI optimizations, including merging jobs and allowing keywords for triggering types of builds.
- Lars made some more changes relating to node category events.
- Chandra worked on enabling encryption of the SNMP config.
- Chandra did some cleanups to Newts/time-series features in Karaf.
- Chandra added support for publishing to Newts in addition to the default time-series strategy in parallel.
- Patrick fixed an issue with importing credentials to SCV.
- Dustin updated flow thresholding to handle unknown flow direction.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Thomas updated the "alarm not found" page to note that alarm clears can cause the error to show.
- Anya did more work on a web UI for ALEC.
- Mike Rose worked on some UI login template fixes.
- Yang Li worked on GraphQL support in Stream.
- Scott fixed a REST issue with
situationAlarmCountqueries from Helm.
- Mike Rose and Chinh Le worked on a Vue UI for Minions/appliances.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Chinh Le
- Dustin Frisch
- Mike Rose
- Morteza Ershad-Manesh
- Anya Rybalova
- Yang Li
- Benjamin Janssens
- Jesse White
- Thomas Bigger
- Patrick Schweizer
- Christian Pape
- Chandra Gorantla
- Alex May
- Antonio Russo
- Bonnie Robinson
- DJ Gregor
- Jason Berry
- Emily Marsh
- Lars Schreiber
- Scott Theleman
- Mark Frazier
- Pushkar Suthar
- Benjamin Reed
Coming Soon: JIRA Migration
We will be migrating our JIRA issue-tracker from a self-hosted version to Atlassian's cloud version.
I don't have a timeline for this yet, but expect it in the coming months.
If you currently have an account at the OpenNMS issue tracker your account should already be migrated to JIRA Cloud, but you will need to perform a password reset with the "Can't log in?" link before you can log in.
Releases and Roadmap
Upcoming July Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is July 13th, 2022.
We currently expect updates to Horizon 30 and all supported Meridians.
Next Horizon: 31 (Q4 2022)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 31.
Since Horizon 30 was just released, there is nothing concrete on the roadmap for Horizon 31 yet.
Stay tuned for details when they come.
Next Meridian: 2023 (Q1 2023)
Meridian 2023 is early in its development cycle, but you can expect it to contain, at the very least, the work that's going into Horizon 30.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Calendar of Events
SCaLE - Los Angeles, California - July 28th through 31st, 2022
The OpenNMS Group will be an exhibitor and Gold Sponsor at the Southern California Linux Expo in Los Angeles, California, from July 28th through 31st.
Stop by our booth and say hi, and don't miss Jeff Gehlbach's presentation on Sunday, titled Network Visibility: The Heart of Modern Monitoring.
Grace Hopper Celebration - Orlando, FL - September 20th through 23rd
Veena Kannan will be presenting a virtual lightning talk titled "Open Source 101 – Myth Buster Edition" at the Grace Hopper Celebration.
We don't know the day nor time of the presentation yet, more details to come.
All Things Open - Raleigh, NC - October 30th through November 2nd, 2022
The OpenNMS Group will be a live stream sponsor for All Things Open, and will be exhibiting as well.
A bunch of OpenNMS folks will be attending or helping out in the exhibition hall, so be sure to say hi!
**Open Source Monitoring Conference - Nuremberg, Germany - November 14th through 16th
The OpenNMS Group is a gold sponsor of OSMC this year, and will have a booth as well.
Stop by and say hello!
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HS-27: Have OpenNMS Operator Implement Horizon Stream through CRDs
- HS-170: App Header: Research & Discovery
- HS-171: OLM support
- HS-176: Research GraphQL library for Spring boot
- HS-180: KC Flow - Test new user unique link flow with opennms mail server, modify template if needed
- HS-181: FE - Add scaffolding for page/routing/components for minion and device tables
- NMS-9591: IcmpDetectorTest and PollableServiceConfigTest require JNI/JNA to run and should be moved to integration tests
- NMS-14215: Encrypt SNMP Credentials
- NMS-14311: Update documentation for changes to types of configs
- NMS-14384: Cortex TSS plugin investigation
- NMS-14385: Karaf scv-list command to see what entries exist
- NMS-14396: runas=root entry in opennms.conf gets duplicated
- NMS-14420: Improve config and main yml files
- NMS-14432: Enlinkd tests clean compile warnings
- NMS-14434: Enlinkd Clean Persistence Classes
- NMS-14435: Enlinkd Clean Service Classes
- NMS-14436: Enlinkd Clean Adapters Classes
- NMS-14441: Appliance: Minion fails to come up with 30.x and bleeding image
- NMS-14460: Update all Vue UI packages to latest
- OIA-40: Add .env.development file to ui extension sample app