Since last time, we worked on docs, Karaf support and config migration in the config management API, the Twin API, Maven component mapping, integration test fixes, VMware support, flow thresholding, collector and Enlinkd improvements, OIA on the Minion, file editing in the new UI, the Vue geomap, requisition editing, and REST APIs.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Mark worked on daemon config docs.
- Patrick did more work on Karaf internal support for config stored in the CM API.
- Chandra continued his changes to add tracing support to the Twin API.
- Pushkar, Dmitri, and Upendra worked on migrating the JMX, SNMP, Trapd, WMI, and XMP configs to the CM API.
- Bonnie worked on more migration of docs from the wiki.
- Freddy did more work on validation/mapping in the CM API.
- Jerry and Jesse did more work on a tool for mapping our Maven components.
- Tikayat worked on integration test changes related to the CM API.
- Shankar wrapped up some VMware integration updates.
- Dustin worked on thresholding for flow data.
- Marcel worked on some updates to the asset topology provider docs.
- Yang Li worked on some improvements to the collector engine.
- David Schlenk contributed a fix for role and user changes.
- Stefan worked on some performance improvements to Enlinkd queries.
- Ronny added support for collecting from VMware 7.x.
- Bonnie worked on some BMP monitoring and flow doc updates.
- Stefan continued to work on cleaning up Karaf bundle auto-refresh behavior.
- Ronny updated the developer docs to include instructions on running PostgreSQL in a container.
- Jesse worked on adding support for running OIA plugins on the Minion.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Mike did more work on web-based file editing as well as some refactoring in the new UI.
- Jane worked on some cleanup of the new Vue geomap code.
- Farid and Jane continued to work on wrapping up alarm marker color updates in the geomap.
- Tripti worked on dependency updates in the new UI.
- Jesse did some build updates to the new UI.
- Alberto worked on a fix to remember layout preferences in the requisition editor.
- Shankar made some unit tests for the REST API for the CM backend.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Alberto Ramos
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- David Schlenk
- Dmitri Herdt
- Dustin Frisch
- Farid Ahmad
- Freddy Chu
- Jane Hou
- Jerry Beuree
- Jesse White
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Mark Mahacek
- Mike Rose
- Patrick Schweizer
- Pushkar Suthar
- Ronny Trommer
- Shankar Suman
- Stefan Wachter
- Tikayat Mohanta
- Tripti Bansal
- Upendra Guggilam
- Yang Li
The Wiki is Dead, Long Live the (Discourse) Wiki
As many of you know, the OpenNMS wiki has long been a bit of a mess.
A bunch of folks have been doing the hard work of migrating the useful bits to the Discourse.
At this point, the value of keeping the wiki around is lower than the value of closing it down, so we are going to finally do just that, on December 1st.
We'll keep an internal copy around in case we need to migrate anything else that got missed, so if you can think of something specific that really needs moving over, let us know.
The new location for general (non-versioned) configuration tips and other useful stuff in the Knowledge Base category of the OpenNMS Discourse.
Tell your friends.
Upcoming December Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is December 8th, 2021.
We currently expect a minor update to Horizon 29.
Next Horizon: 30 (Q2 2022)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 30.
Horizon 30 is currently expected to have the following features:
- the start of a new Vue-based UI using the Feather Design System
- thresholding support for Flow data
- support for running OIA plugins on Minion and Sentinel
- support for backing up router configuration files
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q1 2022)
The current expectation is that we will release Meridian 2022 in Q1 of next year. It will be based on Horizon 29 plus any bug fixes that happen between November and the Meridian release.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-299: Support multiple flow queries per panel
- NMS-8769: New created user cannot login
- NMS-13532: Migrate ResourceTypes from wiki to docs
- NMS-13538: SNMP Asset Provisioning Adapter missing docs
- NMS-13561: Geo map: Display different colors on map base on alarm severity
- NMS-13605: Geo-Map: make Alarms | Nodes tab more apparent
- NMS-13632: geo-map: rename "LAST CAPABILITIES SCAN", "Apply Filter" and "Submit"
- NMS-13665: Geo-Map: add Feather UI to geo-map project
- NMS-13706: Flow Thresholds: Proof-of-concept implementation (in-memory approach)
- NMS-13749: Improve Related Events box in Alarm detail page
- NMS-13761: Authorization changes not taking immediate effect
- NMS-13771: Flow Threshold: Create session by Interface Id
- NMS-13774: VMware sessions not correctly closed in all cases