Since last time, we worked on updated provisioning, datacollection, event, and monitor/detector docs, logging improvements, Cortex support, flow model updates, flow classification engine improvements, smoke tests, SNMP trap counts, twin API implementation for Trapd, DCT in foundation 2021, Karaf 4.3.3, config management, Vue UI, Vue geomap, ReST mappings, and OpenAPI docs.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Mark continued to work on datacollection documentation.
- Bonnie added documentation for the
- Christian worked on some fixes for logging storms.
- Chandra made some changes to Kafka producer node generation to improve performance.
- Christian cleaned up some handling of flow options data in some situations.
- Stefan worked on some optimizations/simplification of the Cortex Nephron code,
as well as some fixes to a flapping test.
- Stefan worked on improvements to the flow classification engine.
- Patrick continued his work on converting
provisiond-configuration.xmlto be in the database.
- I reworked the smoke test build to put "flaky" tests into a separate build to ease restarts.
- Christian fixed a bug in how JMX tracks SNMP trap counts.
- Dustin worked on using the twin API for Trapd configuration.
- Stefan remode some unnecessary/redundant fields from the flow summary
and flow summary data model.
- I worked on backporting our Docker Content Trust implementation for Minion to
- Yang Li worked on updating our embedded Karaf to 4.3.3.
- Freddy did some work on the config management test framework.
- Marcel did more doc updates for provisioning, collection, and HTTP-related monitors/detectors.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Sagar, Tripti, Shankar and Maxim worked on the new Vue-based UI and backend.
- Jane did more work on the Vue geomap.
- Sonukumar worked on fixing some of our
@RequestMappingannotations on ReST calls.
- Sonukumar added some OpenAPI docs for the alarm ReST service.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Dustin Frisch
- Freddy Chu
- Jane Hou
- Jesse White
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Mark Mahacek
- Maxim Brener
- Mike Rose
- Patrick Schweizer
- Sagar Salunkhe
- Shankar Suman
- Sonukumar Gupta
- Stefan Wachter
- Tripti Bansal
- Yang Li
Upcoming October Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is October 13th, 2021.
We currently expect a Horizon 28 release, as well as Meridian 2021 update.
Next Horizon: 29 (Q4 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 29.
The current roadmap for Horizon 29 includes the following goals:
- running as non-root by default
- refactor the Minion's communication to get rid of out-of-band ReST calls to the OpenNMS core
- add support for persistence of flows to Cortex
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q? 2022)
With Meridian 2021 recently out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include -- at the very least -- the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements from Horizon 28.
Ideally it will contain work going into Horizons 29 (and probably 30) if our timeline holds. 😅
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-13428: Strings with URL arguments are truncated in the eventdescr field
- NMS-13467: Nephron: Test if pane accumulation has a positive effect on performance
- NMS-13512: Web-based SNMP config UI does not pass through proxy-host if a value is provided
- NMS-13539: Minion stops processing flows with "Invalid packet: null" until restart
- NMS-13540: Add search term highlight functionality in documentation
- NMS-13545: Nephron: Remove unnecessary fields from FlowSummary / FlowSummaryData
- NMS-13546: Nephron: FlowAnalyzerIT flaps on Flink 1.13
- NMS-13571: Nephron: RandomFlowIT.testRatesWithClockSkew is still flaky