Since last time, we worked on Cortex flow export, Docker Content Trust signing for Minion, Nephron improvements, fixes for running as non-root, IPLIKE, default flow configs, a new Vue UI, and Helm, plus documentation for filter rules, firewall settings, host resource monitor, SNMP config ReST API, FTP and BSF detectors, ActiveMQ tuning, provisioning, and table formatting.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Stefan started laying the groundwork for exporting flows to Cortex time-series database.
- Stefan and I wrapped up getting Docker Content Trust set up for Minion image deployment.
- Bonnie worked on a buttload of filter rule docs (she's in Canada, so it's a metric buttload).
- Ronny worked on some doc changes for firewall updates for non-root OpenNMS.
- Mark worked on some doc fixes for the host resource monitor and SNMP config ReST API.
- Stefan worked on some updates to Nephron to better-handle unaligned flow windows.
- I did some bug fixes to the OpenNMS-as-non-root packaging.
- Chandra worked on some optimizations to his enhancements to provide extra metadata in tha Kafka collection sets.
- Stefan made more enhancements to his Nephron testing framework.
- I updated the IPLIKE Debian packages to no longer symlink the
.sofile into the OpenNMS directory for no good reason.
- Marcel did some updates to the FTP and BSF detector docs.
- JianYet worked on some docs for ActiveMQ tuning.
- Mark and Ronny did a bunch of provisioning doc updates.
- Stefan updated the Minion RPM and Debian packages to have a default flow config. (The Docker image will use
- Bonnie worked on cleaning up the table formatting in our Antora docs.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Mike did more work on a Vue-based UI mockup.
- I worked on Helm updates to fix some plugin validation errors.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Dustin Frisch
- JianYet Lee
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Mark Mahacek
- Mike Rose
- Ronny Trommer
- Stefan Wachter
New Release Schedule
As this month shows, it turns out to be kind of a pain to come back from a holiday and immediately try to put out releases.
After looking at the calendar, where holidays lie, and what works best for fitting into sprints, we have decided to move the release day forward.
The new release schedule is: second Wednesday of the month.
This means the July releases move foward to Wednesday, July 14th.
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is July 14th, 2021.
We currently expect a Horizon 28.0.1 release, plus updates for all supported Meridian releases.
Next Horizon: 29 (Q4 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 29.
The current roadmap for Horizon 29 includes the following goals:
- running as non-root by default
- refactor the Minion's communication to get rid of out-of-band ReST calls to the OpenNMS core
- add support for persistence of flows to Cortex
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q? 2022)
With Meridian 2021 recently out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include -- at the very least -- the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements from Horizon 28.
Ideally it will contain work going into Horizons 29 (and probably 30) if our timeline holds. 😅
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-10538: HostResourceSwRunMonitor: Fix SNMP OIDs in Documentation
- NMS-10710: Move filter rule documentation to admin guide
- NMS-13073: Create BSFDetector documenation
- NMS-13265: Confd doesn't replace telemetryd config in etc
- NMS-13318: Use DCT to secure the Minion image
- NMS-13339: Create FtpDetector docs
- NMS-13345: Setup DCT keys for the OpenNMS and OpenNMS-Forge organizations
- NMS-13346: Add debug insight to session state in netflow parsers
- NMS-13357: Lever regex for indexing of resource paths (resorceId)
- NMS-13358: Move Resource Metadata Handling to TS
- NMS-13359: Improved Visibility into Tags
- NMS-13369: Add tags as query params to /health/probe Rest API
- NMS-13393: Investigate Vue3 features
- NMS-13394: Investigate Leaflet for OpenNMS geo-map
- NMS-13413: Remove storing of string attributes at a resource path without a sample
- NMS-13418: Fresh install requires to run fix-permissions script
- NMS-13423: Upgrade Timescale plugin to TSS2.0
- NMS-13429: Package diffutils is missing in Docker image