In the last week we continued to work on Nephron and flows, fixed some Kafka stream related bugs, fixed up some tests, worked on an Enlinkd ReST service, and did some other UI cleanups.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Bonnie did more work on documentation updates.
- Chandra's initial work on built-in BGP Monitoring Protocol support got merged to
- Chandra worked on an issue with
ifIndexnot being accessible from the Kafka stream.
- Stefan did more work on nephron, flows, and flow benchmarking.
- Chandra fixed a problem with dropped events in the Kafka stream.
- Craig worked on modernizing the Selenium Monitor.
- I fixed some test flappers in linkd.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Dustin finished cleaning up the tests I worked on cleaning up for Patrick's code to fix the application topology map. ;)
- Christian worked on a few validation fixes in the web UI.
- Jane worked on creating a new ReST service for accessing Enlinkd data.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Craig Gallen
- Dustin Frisch
- Jane Hou
- Matthew Brooks
- Patrick Schweizer
- Stefan Wachter
In March we released updates to Horizon 27, plus all supported Meridian versions.
Release 27.1.0 contains a bunch of bug fixes, as well as a number of enhancements including a refactor of our BGP Monitoring Protocol integration which adds built-in support, no longer requiring an external OpenBMP installation.
The codename for 27.1.0 is Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.
For a complete list of changes in 27.1.0, see the detailed release notes.
Meridians 2018.1.26, 2019.1.17, and 2020.1.6
Meridian 2018.1.26 had a security update for a dependency, and a fix for a Newts cache priming configuration option.
2019.1.17 and 2020.1.6 had additional bug fixes and enhancements related to the UI.
2020.1.6 also added service status to the list of information available in the /info ReST endpoint.
For a list of changes, see the release notes:
The next OpenNMS release day is April 6th, 2021.
Currently we expect a new bug fix release for Horizon 27.
Next Horizon: 28 (Q? 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 28.
Horizon 28 will still be coming down the pipeline soon.
Currently, we hope for it to contain the move to building with JDK 11 (and, consequently, a requirement to only run on JDK 11 or higher), QoS flow aggergation, and some other improvements in the pipeline.
Next Meridian: 2021 (Q2 2021)
Meridian 2021 is on track for a release in 2nd quarter of 2021. It is expected to be based on the Horizon 27.1 codebase, which means it will contain all of the bug fixes and new features introduced in Horizon 26 and 27.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-12962: Add enhancement infrastructure for BMP updates
- NMS-12969: Topology Map: Application: Color of app wrong for aknowledged alarm
- NMS-13029: Actively collected metrics suddenly become unavailable through API and Web UI due to static TTL on Newts search index
- NMS-13143: Generate Data collection throws error message "There is a group with same name, please pick another one" under MIB browser
- NMS-13145: 'Links on interface' table was missing for interface under node list
- NMS-13152: Query Regarding saving a filter URL with more than 255 characters in events ILP
- NMS-13167: Kafka Producer drops samples when the sending operation timeout.
- NMS-13174: Use perl from env
- NMS-13178: Opennms Ui is not accessible when logged in from a read-only user