In the last week we worked on Newts, Kafka queues, transitioning from OpenBMP, a configuration API, documentation, event definitions, Nephron benchmarking, UI/UX cleanups, ReST improvements, and user validation.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Dustin fixed an issue with TTL handling in Newts.
- Dustin's fix for cache priming in Newts was backported to some of the foundation branches.
- Chandra fixed a bug where messages could be dropped depending on how
- Chandra did more work on wrapping up the OpenBMP migration.
- Patrick and Jesse continued to work on creating a new configuration API.
- Bonnie did more work on the new Antora-based documentation.
- Marcel added definitions for applicationChanged and applicationCreated events.
- Stefan made a tool for benchmarking Nephron flow processing.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- I added a table to the alarm details page to show related events based on UEI, node, interface, and service.
- Jane finished her work on making sure duplicate services in requisitions are handled properly.
- I added controls for setting the number of rows to return in the alarm, event, outage, and notification UIs.
- Jane worked on refactoring some of the linkd model objects used in the ReST API.
- Christian fixed an issue in handling weird characters in usernames.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Dustin Frisch
- Jane Hou
- Jesse White
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Patrick Schweizer
- Stefan Wachter
The next OpenNMS release day is March 2nd, 2021.
Currently we expect new releases for all supported Horizon and Meridian (2018, 2019, 2020) releases.
We had been planning on releasing current
develop as Horizon 28 tomorrow, but since the biggest new change is the work done to pull OpenBMP's functionality into the core of the project, we have decided that it will be released as 27.1.0 instead.
This is mere semantics, and everything that was going to be in Horizon 28 will instead be in the 27.1 release.
Next Horizon: 28 (Q? 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 28.
Horizon 28 will still be coming down the pipeline soon.
Currently, we expect it to contain a move to building with JDK 11 (and, consequently, a requirement to only run on JDK 11 or higher), plus we have some other improvements in the pipeline.
Next Meridian: 2021 (Q2 2021)
Meridian 2021 is on track for a release in 2nd quarter of 2021. It is expected to be based on the Horizon 27.1 codebase, which means it will contain all of the bug fixes and new features introduced in Horizon 26 and 27.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-12739: REST API allows to import a requistion from XML with same services
- NMS-12965: Enhance Routes with RPKI info
- NMS-13125: XSS in user management
- NMS-13137: No option provided to change the number of records per page in Events ILP and Events/Alarms ILP under Topology
- NMS-13144: Response time Graphs shows empty data for all nodes listed with ICMP 100%
- NMS-13151: Polling package shows up twice, one with irrelevant data 'cassandra-via-jmx'
- NMS-13156: Newts Cache priming flag is inverted
- NMS-13168: Move some model objects from opennms-webapp to opennms-web-api
- NMS-13170: create a table to show related events in the alarm detail view