It's time once again for OpenNMS On the Horizon.
Since last time, we worked on documentation (Kafka, Karaf features, MySQL JDBC and JIRA ticketing, and SNMP varbinds), Horizon Stream (Prometheus and Grafana integration, Minion, Skaffold, notifications, and device APIs), CircleCI, Enlinkd bridge topology, ALEC Hellinger Distance, JUnit and test updates, datachoices telemetry, flow persistence in OIA, Newts Cassandra updates, Grafana database reports, cloud APIs, MySQL collection, Spring, OpenTelemetry, and password updates.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Morteza continued his work on optimizing our CircleCI pipelines.
- Antonio did more work on reworking Enlinkd bridge topology discovery.
- Scott fixed some bugs in the graphite telemetry adapter example scripts.
- Benjamin Janssens did more work on implementing Hellinger Distance calculations in ALEC.
- Alexander did more work on auditing flaky smoke tests.
- Mark Mahacek continued his work on Minion Kafka tuning documentation.
- Alex and Thomas worked on database, event, flow, metric, OIA, and polling stats for the datachoices telemetry.
- Dustin did some work on flow persistence support in the OIA plugin API.
- Dino updated a number of places in the documentation to suggest using the
featuresBoot.d folder rather than editing Karaf
.cfg files directly.
- Jesse did more work on modernizing the Cassandra driver used in Newts.
- I fixed a bug in the Grafana report backend that didn't handle some Grafana 8+ dashboards properly.
- Yang Li worked on integrating Prometheus and Grafana into the Horizon Stream dev environment.
- Freddy started adding support for accessing some cloud-related OpenNMS APIs.
- Emily added documentation for the MySQL JDBC driver and JIRA ticketing plugin.
- Chandra did more work on Minion support in Horizon Stream.
- Gerald did more work on Skaffold config in Stream.
- Dino updated the default MySQL collection config to actually work. 😅
- Bonnie did more work on SNMP varbinds documentation.
- James worked on implementing notifications in Stream.
- Alexander did more work on moving unit tests to JUnit 5.
- I worked on backporting some Spring fixes.
- Antonio made some changes to collection priority scheduling in Enlinkd.
- DJ continued his work to move to OpenTelemetry for tracing.
Web, REST, UI, and Helm
- Mike Rose worked on device GraphQL and display in Horizon Stream.
- Chinh Le did more work on the device UI in Stream.
- Lars did some final refactoring on his password complexity changes.
- Thomas made some fixes to query parameter escaping related to recent advanced search changes.
- Anya worked on the front page, situation details, and situation feedback in the ALEC UI.
- Mike Rose worked on some fixes to alarm filters in the ALEC UI.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- DJ Gregor
- Benjamin Reed
- Antonio Russo
- Morteza Ershad-Manesh
- Chandra Gorantla
- Yang Li
- Alexander Chadfield
- Mike Rose
- Emily Marsh
- Anya Rybalova
- Chinh Le
- Thomas Bigger
- Benjamin Janssens
- James Hutchinson
- Dino Yancey
- Mark Mahacek
- Bonnie Robinson
- Jesse White
- Dustin Frisch
- Gerald Humphries
- Freddy Chu
- Lars Schreiber
- Alex May
- Scott Theleman
Coming Soon: JIRA Migration
We will be migrating our JIRA issue-tracker from a self-hosted version to Atlassian's cloud version.
I don't have a timeline for this yet, but expect it in the coming months.
If you currently have an account at the OpenNMS issue tracker your account should already be migrated to JIRA Cloud, but you will need to perform a password reset with the "Can't log in?" link before you can log in.
Releases and Roadmap
Upcoming August Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is August 10th, 2022.
We currently expect updates to Horizon 30 and all supported Meridians.
Next Horizon: 31 (Q4 2022)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 31.
Since Horizon 30 was only recently released, there is nothing concrete on the roadmap for Horizon 31 yet.
Stay tuned for details when they come.
Next Meridian: 2023 (Q1 2023)
Meridian 2023 is still reasonably early in its development cycle, but you can expect it to contain, at the very least, the work that's going into Horizon 30.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Calendar of Events
Veena Kannan will be presenting a virtual lightning talk titled "Open Source 101 – Myth Buster Edition" at the Grace Hopper Celebration.
We don't know the day nor time of the presentation yet, more details to come.
All Things Open - Raleigh, NC - October 30th through November 2nd, 2022
The OpenNMS Group will be a live stream sponsor for All Things Open, and will have a booth in the exhibition hall.
A bunch of OpenNMS folks will be attending or helping out in the booth, so be sure to say hi!
The OpenNMS Group is a gold sponsor of OSMC this year, and will have a booth as well.
Stop by and say hello!
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- ALEC-122: Hellinger Distance for ALEC: Implementation for DBSCAN
- ALEC-140: Situation storage: POC to file.
- HS-182: Keycloak support in the Operator
- HS-198: Dev Enviroment: Add Grafana to Skaffold
- HS-208: Backend: Add "community string" to nodes
- HS-242: Add device GQL mutation once service is available
- HS-243: FE - Ongoing mods based on new UI design updates
- HS-248: Dev Environment: Add the TSDB to Skaffold
- HS-254: FE - Add bg color coded tests (minion/device)
- HS-255: FE - Mod to ongoing UI changes
- HS-262: FE - Bring over map/topo components form core
- NMS-13770: Flow Thresholds: Split processing and persistence
- NMS-13958: "vault" docs are missing main HTML documentation
- NMS-14209: Update guava dependency to 25.1
- NMS-14323: Migrate Trap configuration wiki to docs
- NMS-14346: Document SNMP oid varbind pattern matching and varbind expansion to create unique events
- NMS-14360: BmpIT flapping
- NMS-14456: Implement Cortex TSS plugin persistance for External Tags
- NMS-14490: Add KPI for installed OIA plugins to datachoices telemetry
- NMS-14492: Add KPI item for RDBMS type and version to datachoices telemetry
- NMS-14511: Velocloud API interaction baselines API v2
- NMS-14530: write a script to dump release note issues from JIRA
- NMS-14541: Bridge Topology Discovery, Move BridgeTopologyException
- NMS-14542: Event / Alarms filtering no longer works
- NMS-14544: Grafana dashboard reports do not run
- NMS-14549: Clicking on the Count # in the Alarm does not bring up the associated Events
- NMS-14554: Add datacollection definition for Eventd processing times
- NMS-14558: Learning: Understand Graphite support in OpenNMS
- NMS-14564: Fix stock graphite-telemetry-interface.groovy script file
- OIA-42: Remove dev mode flag for sample plugin