Since last time, we worked on Elasticsearch bulk updating, tons of documentation improvements, syslog message processing, flow classification, Cortex in Nephron, time-series tag handling, the new config management API, gRPC support in the twin API, tests, internal stats, Liquibase, Vue UI and geomap, scheduled outages, and Helm.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Dustin did more work on bulk updating in Elasticsearch
- Mark did more work on provisioning doc cleanups
- I did a couple of dependency updates
- Chandra worked on fixing syslog message hostname resolution
- Stefan worked on improvements to the flow classification engine
- Stefan continued his work on Cortex support in Nephron
- Patrick did some work on improving tag handling in the time-series API
- Freddy did more work on handling schemas and validation in the new config management API
- Chandra worked on the gRPC implementation for the new twin API
- Chandra fixed some timing issues in OpenConfig tests
- Ronny updated the Minion docs to show how to configure SSL on the Karaf CLI
- Yang Li worked on providing some additional information in the MBean stats collector
- Marcel worked on cleaning up and rearranging the demon reload code
- Patrick worked on moving to Liquibase 4 and using it for implementing config management updates
- Bonnie and Mark did more work on table cleanups in the docs
- Christian added some extra debug logging to the telemetry listeners
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Mike, Yang Li, Jesse, Sagar, and Tripti worked on the Vue PoC UI
- Jane did more work on the Vue geomap
- I added IP interface, SNMP interface, service, and outage support to the Helm entity datasource
- Christian worked on some input validation in the web UI
- Christian fixed a bug where you could create the same scheduled outage multiple times
- Stefan added a Cortex-based flow deep-dive dashboard to Helm
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Dustin Frisch
- Freddy Chu
- Jane Hou
- Jesse White
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Mark Mahacek
- Mike Rose
- Patrick Schweizer
- Ronny Trommer
- Sagar Salunkhe
- Stefan Wachter
- Tripti Bansal
- Yang Li
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is September 8th, 2021.
We currently expect a Horizon 28.0.3 release.
Next Horizon: 29 (Q4 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 29.
The current roadmap for Horizon 29 includes the following goals:
- running as non-root by default
- refactor the Minion's communication to get rid of out-of-band ReST calls to the OpenNMS core
- add support for persistence of flows to Cortex
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q? 2022)
With Meridian 2021 recently out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include -- at the very least -- the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements from Horizon 28.
Ideally it will contain work going into Horizons 29 (and probably 30) if our timeline holds. 😅
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-845: Notification/Outage Notes
- NMS-5350: Add comment field to discovery range
- NMS-8968: OpenNMS Admin Guide HostResourceSwRunMonitor service-name not exact match string
- NMS-13219: No warning message thrown when more than one Duplicate entry time applied during Outage creation
- NMS-13366: Migrate VMware instructions from Wiki to Docs
- NMS-13440: Update table formatting in detectors section of docs
- NMS-13460: Implement gRPC broker for Object replication (Twin)
- NMS-13471: GeoMap: Investigate the Vue3 reactivity in geomap page to sync the map, nodes and alarms subpages.
- NMS-13472: Update table formatting in docs.
- NMS-13482: Migrate foreign source content from Discourse to docs
- NMS-13485: Syslog messages missing nodelabel, location, and interface
- NMS-13502: Geo-Map: Nodes, Alrarm Grid and Leaflet map need to listen to the change of the Monitored Nodes