It's time once again for OpenNMS On the Horizon.
Since last time, we worked on the config manager, Log4j, TimescaleDB, the Twin API, Karaf updates, router config handling, CI improvements, flow/Minion/Sentinel doc improvements, interface and node caching, Helm, Sentinel health-check, resource graphs in the featherds UI, and jQuery.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Freddy worked on exception handling changes in the config manager
- I bumped pax-logging and log4j versions
- Alberto worked on cleanups to TimescaleDB upgrade handling
- Chandra did more work on adding metrics for the Twin API
- Yang Li and I experimented with updating our embedded Karaf
- Patrick did more work on the Karaf config manager integration
- Freddy and Patrick continued their work on config manager import infrastructure
- Chandra worked on persisting router info
- I did some adjustments to our CI infrastructure to support CircleCI's dynamic configs
- I worked on moving javadoc building in CircleCI to improve build times
- Pushkar and Dmitri worked on migrating notification and SNMP configs to the config manager
- Bonnie and Mark worked on flow, Minion, and Sentinel docs
- Chandra and Stefan worked on asynchronous and locking improvements in the interface/node cache
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- I cleaned up some dependencies in Helm
- Alberto worked on adding health-check REST to Sentinel
- Mike worked on resource graph support in the featherds UI
- I worked on updating our jQuery in the web UI
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Freddy Chu
- Alberto Ramos
- Benjamin Reed
- Mark Mahacek
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Dmitri Herdt
- Yang Li
- Patrick Schweizer
- Pushkar Suthar
- Mike Rose
Upcoming January Releases
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is January 12th, 2021.
We currently expect minor updates to Horizon 29 and all supported Meridian releases.
Next Horizon: 30 (Q2 2022)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 30.
Horizon 30 is currently expected to have the following features:
- the start of a new Vue-based UI using the Feather Design System
- thresholding support for Flow data
- support for running OIA plugins on Minion and Sentinel
- support for backing up router configuration files
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q1 2022)
The current expectation is that we will release Meridian 2022 in Q1 of next year. It will be based on Horizon 29 plus any bug fixes that happen between November and the Meridian release.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- NMS-12839: It's not possible to configure Slack/Mattermost notifications using the web UI
- NMS-13649: Add metrics about twin communication
- NMS-13808: Phase 2 flows documentation: remote flows collection with Minion
- NMS-13809: Phase 3 flows docs: Sentinel to scale write performance
- NMS-13818: [CircleCI] - separate build-docs build step
- NMS-13859: Very large node caches can cause telemetry adapters to fail on Sentinel
- NMS-13861: Nephron chapter missing from TOC
- NMS-13878: upgrade to log4j2 2.17.1 and pax-logging 1.11.13/2.0.14