Since last time, we worked on the new config API, more doc updates, non-root fixes, the new Twin API, Nephron, Vue geomaps, and a discovery ReST API.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Chandra worked on SNMP trap handling user config updates.
- Bonnie updated documentation for the search panel.
- Bonnie and Mark did more work on fixing up table formatting in the docs, plus data collection improvements.
- I made some updates to the
RUNASchanges in develop.
- Stefan fixed a race condition in the sink dispatcher.
- Chandra continued his work on a proof-of-concept API for disseminating config updates to Minions (called the "Twin API").
- Mark continued his work on cleaning up provisioning docs.
- I worked on some outstanding dependency updates.
- Freddy continued to work on the new config manager API.
- I worked on fixing some smoke test issues related to the recent default-localhost changes.
- Stefan did some more work on the Nephron test framework and test fixes.
Web, ReST, UI, and Helm
- Jane continued her work on a vue-based geomaps replacement proof-of-concept.
- Yang Li worked on a simple discovery ReST service.
- I continued to work on wrapping up my ReST fixes for querying nodes and interfaces by SNMP primary status.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Freddy Chu
- Jane Hou
- Mark Mahacek
- Maxim Brener
- Stefan Wachter
- Yang Li
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the second Wednesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is August 11th, 2021.
We currently expect a Horizon 28.0.2 release, plus updates to all supported Meridian releases.
Next Horizon: 29 (Q4 2021)
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 29.
The current roadmap for Horizon 29 includes the following goals:
- running as non-root by default
- refactor the Minion's communication to get rid of out-of-band ReST calls to the OpenNMS core
- add support for persistence of flows to Cortex
Next Meridian: 2022 (Q? 2022)
With Meridian 2021 recently out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include -- at the very least -- the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements from Horizon 28.
Ideally it will contain work going into Horizons 29 (and probably 30) if our timeline holds. 😅
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Until Next Time…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last OOH
- HELM-66: Documentation using Grafana templating with PM/FM datasources
- NMS-10180: Gathering Documentation
- NMS-11965: Automate copyright dates in docs
- NMS-13375: Investigate the Conversations related performance with Cortex & large amount of data
- NMS-13381: Implement RPC from minion to opennms
- NMS-13403: Nephron: More than one FlowSummary per window/key
- NMS-13405: OutOfMemory issue on Minion ( corner case related to Offheap)
- NMS-13408: Document search panel
- NMS-13424: Investigate integrate Leaflet with Vue3 for OpenNMS geo map
- NMS-13431: Initiate Vue3 code for geo-map
- NMS-13470: Relaunch of bin/opennms script as opennms user fails due to missing arguments