This Week in OpenNMS: Testing and Bugging (Not Necessarily in That Order)

by Benjamin Reed: August 8, 2011

It’s time again for This Week in OpenNMS. In the last week we did some testing and bugfixing in preparation for 1.10.

IPv6 Testing

I spent the first half of the week testing IPv6, making sure that the packaging is ready and that you can have a system with only an IPv4 or IPv6 stack (but not both) and have everything still come up correctly. Also, if you need to enforce the availability (or not) of either stack, some options have been added to $OPENNMS_HOME/etc/opennms.properties to take care of that.

# By default, OpenNMS will start up if either ICMPv4 *or* ICMPv6 are
# available and initialize properly. If you wish to force IPv4 or IPv6
# explicitly, set one or both of these properties.
#
#org.opennms.netmgt.icmp.requireV4=true
#org.opennms.netmgt.icmp.requireV6=true

Smoke Tests

We’ve had pretty good unit test coverage in general, but we’ve been lacking a few things, namely, UI testing, and a “smoke test” which makes sure that OpenNMS snapshots come up properly, don’t have nasty exceptions, and other similar things.

Our intern Philip was back this summer helping us out with a few things, and he’s been working on the smoke test infrastructure for the last few weeks. I spent a bit of time putting together scripts on the server side to let us bring up a snapshot and run the smoke tests against it, from Bamboo. As of this week, the smoke tests are not only running, but green. (Yay!) Tomorrow is Philip’s last day, and we’ve heard he’s going to try again to beat the Andy’s Big-A Challenge again this year. Last year, it didn’t work out so well. I swear, this is not a hazing thing, he volunteered. Anyways, wish him luck. ;)

Other Code Cleanups

Alejandro is wrapping up making sure that there is a Provisiond detector for everything that has a Capsd plugin. Seth and I have both been working on cleaning up miscellaneous bugs and other stuff in preparation for 1.10. Donald has finished moving all of our Ext-JS code to use GWT instead, which has given us a number of spiffy controls.

I also spent some time profiling OpenNMS, and cleaning up some easy-to-fix-stuff, including working on moving the data collection configuration parsing to JAXB and changing that code to optimize usage of string data some. Data collection should use less memory now, and be a little faster.

Project Updates

  • 1.8: Current Release is 1.8.12 (Black-capped Petrel)
    1.8.12 is the current stable release, tagged 10 May, 2011. For a complete list of changes and updates, see the “New and Noteworthy” page on the OpenNMS wiki. As always, it is recommended that you back up your database before upgrading.
  • 1.9: Current release is 1.9.8 (Pulalu)
    1.9.8 is the current unstable release, tagged 10 May, 2011. This release is not recommended for production use, but for developers and users who want to try out the very latest features. For a list of changes and updates, see the “New and Noteworthy” page on the OpenNMS wiki.

Issues Resolved

  • [NMS-1121] – threshd.log shows wrong nodeId in certain circumstances
  • [NMS-1174] – SNMP collection on NAT’d interfaces produces ifIndex of -100
  • [NMS-1316] – service not being marked up after interfaceUp event.
  • [NMS-4038] – translated events are displayed like the original event
  • [NMS-4856] – MSExchangeDetectorClient is too verbose on exceptions
  • [NMS-4859] – OpenNMS doesn’t start

Until Next Week…

As always, if there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future TWiO, or you just have a comment or criticism that you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Stay Connected

Subscribe to this site and get the latest project and event updates

Subscribe via RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • identi.ca

OpenNMS Site Archives